So my intention was to write a nice, light-hearted pick-me-up of things to look forward to - try to cheer everyone up by thinking what could/will eventually be, you know? But I have realised that I have created a monster of sadness in the form of “remember when?'s" and am leaving feeling more sad about COVID than when I started. With that being said, read ahead at your own peril…
Nevertheless, it is mildly therapeutic reminiscing about pre-pandemic times and remembering the little things that we once took for granted. So, I took to asking the team at TicketSellers and Eventree and some of my friends what it is exactly that they’re missing the most, and what they’re most looking forward to doing when the opportunity arises.
Responses varied pretty admirably, and it’s always interesting to see who’s enjoying the enforced hermit lifestyle compared to who is itching to get back out and socialise again. This little survey also reminded me that, once upon a time, I was capable of working for eight hours a day (and actually commuting), going to the gym for an hour, and going out and socialising with a whole different group of people - all in ONE day. Now, my weekly trip to big Sainsbury’s tends to knock the life out of me for 3-5 business days. So, let’s start there...
- Getting back to the point where I can accomplish at least one (1) task a day without it completely knocking the life out of me.
- Going on holiday without it being like the 'road trip' in 28 Days Later.
- Having to be more creative with my excuses about why I don’t want to hang out with anyone.
- Not having to burn my clothes after risking my life popping to the local shop to buy some bread.
- Pub (short and sweet, nothing wrong with that).
- Having friends round for dinner and pretending to be grown ups before going out and getting trashed doing the Digbeth rounds (PSA: The Old Crown > The Ruin > Dig Brew > Deadwax > The Night Owl).
- Seeing my friends and my family dog.
- Unexpectedly bumping into my friends when I’m out and about and actually being able to hug them instead of awkwardly waving or doing that weird elbow thing everyone seems to have adopted.
- Meeting random people in smoking areas of bars and getting along like a house on fire, sharing your entire life stories, and giving each other miniature counselling sessions as to why you each deserve SO much better (and then never talking to them again, but watching their life unfold on Instagram from afar and being oh-so proud. Mary, you’re doing amazing, sweetie).
- Working 60-hour weeks again (weird flex on this one but whatever).
- Going on holiday.
- Seeing my friends.
- Walking through the gates at a festival.
If there’s one thing we’ve got at TicketSellers, it’s certainly a range (not the authority, that's strictly reserved for Miss Jackie Weaver). On that note - what are you most looking forward to doing post-pandemic?